Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Out UK actor John Barrowman says he was told by producers to stay in the closet

John Barrowman. Photo taken during filming of ...Image via Wikipedia
Openly gay UK actor John Barrowman reveals in his new book that he was once told by a TV producer that he should stay in the closet to protect the show and his career. The award winning star of "Dr. Who" and "Torchwood" has written a new autobiography "I am what I am", in which he discusses his anger over being told by bosses to keep his sexuality a secret.

The actor says he was approached by a producer who told him, “John, we wondered if you really wanted to reveal that you’re gay? We think it might change how people feel about you.”

Barrowman recalls telling the corporate toady, “I really hope you’re not saying this, because I’m not going in the closet for you or anyone. You’ve hired me to be a professional, not to have sex. Being a gay man has nothing to do with my abilities on this show.”

He goes on to say, “The incident was even more offensive because they sent a gay producer to discuss this with me, as if somehow this would ease the blow."

The 42-year-old actor has done numerous TV shows in his career and would not say which one he was working on when the conversation took place. Barrowman says he received an apology for the incident, but added, “One of my explicit missions as an entertainer is to work to create a world where no one will ever make a statement like this producer did to me to anyone who’s gay."
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments relevant and civil. Comments attacking other people will be deleted.

 
Subscribe in a reader